Thursday, April 10, 2014

Day 1 :)

Hello and happy blog day 1! 

My name is Cara Maksimow and I am a clinical social worker, certified professional coach, public speaker and mom.  I practice positive psychology in my work and my life.  What that means is I want to help people increase their optimism which ultimately has potential to help people live happier, healthier, longer and more productive lives. 
That being said, this blog is a way for me to share ideas and thoughts on all things related to helping others to increase their optimism a little each day.  I hope to provide you with practical tools and information from things I read, my experiences and the experiences of others. 

Studies have shown that our genetics plays a role in our happiness, however a big chunk of our happiness has to do with how we see the world and interpret what is around us.  According to Sonja Lyubomirsky in The How of Happiness only 10% of our happiness comes from external factors.  That means how much money we have, where we live, how we look, how much we weigh - all those things we think will make us happy - they only account for a small part of it.

I must say, I often fell into that trap of "if I just get that promotion" or "if I just lose 10 more pounds" then "I will surely be happy".  I learned that it does not work that way.  Every situation and scenario can be viewed from multiple lenses.  Which lens you use has a lot to do with how you feel.
What lens are you using?
Something to think about for now. 
I plan to post weekly and would love to have you join me through this journey. :)

www.maximize-wellness.com
To check out events and other happenings or to find out more about working with me, check out my website.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment