Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Don't believe everything you think!

We have a gazillion thoughts every day, so how many of them are really true?  

(okay maybe a gazillion is a bit off, but you get the idea)

I realize this may be a strange question to ask, but is it really?


We have this belief that every thought we have must be true just because we think it. 

Close your eyes and think: 
I am a pirate, I am a pirate, I am a pirate.
Open your eyes.
Are you really a pirate?  
No? 
But you thought it...

Is it possible that other thoughts could be equally untrue?

What about these?
I'm not smart enough
I look terrible today
I will never get better
There is something wrong with me
She is trying to hurt me
How could I be so stupid

With the gazillion thoughts that go through our mind each day we fall into a pattern of believing everything we think.  

Not every thought serves a purpose and is useful.  You can chose which you believe or listen to more than others.  Challenging the validity of a thought can help you to identify those that are not helpful.  

Trying hard to push away or ignore a negative thought is not the same as recognizing it and choosing not to believe it. 


For example, right now I am going to ask you to NOT think about a spider crawling on a web.  
How many of you just thought about a spider crawling on a web?
Instead of fighting with your thoughts, accept that you don't have to believe everything you think!

Connect with me via Facebook or go to Maximize Wellness website to learn more,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment