Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Perfection vs Positivity


Have you ever heard the term "Don't let Perfection stand in the way of Progress?"  There was a time when I would hear that phrase and not quite get it.  I saw it as an excuse for doing things in a sub par or less than ideal way.  Being a perfectionist I found it difficult to accept.  

Currently I work with clients to help them gain positivity and resilience and escape the challenges of stress, depression and anxiety.  The more I work with others, the more I learn myself. 

Perfection can be toxic!


When we look to be perfect in every way we can easily become disappointed and frustrated and that can lead to stress and feelings of depression.  

To gain more positivity (and progress) in your life - get rid of the idea of perfect.  I often ask my clients to take a piece of paper and write out "perfection" and throw it away.

Mistakes can be good!


You may be thinking that makes no sense however think about things you have learned in your life that have made you a stronger and better at something.  Were you perfect from the beginning or did it take trial and error to figure it out?  We are human and we make mistakes.  The key is to recognize it quickly, accept it and learn from it.  

Keep in mind you will make mistakes and you will get stronger.  It is supposed to be that way.  Our imperfections are part of who we are and there for us to grow.

Be kind to yourself!

Don't let "perfect" get in the way of increased positivity!


Feel free to contact me to learn more!

Cara Maksimow, LCSW, CPC
908-337-3710







No comments:

Post a Comment